Forums - ATITC Texture Compression

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
ATITC Texture Compression
Anagha_Kulkarni
Posted: Wed, 2010-07-07 18:54

I am running a native application on Android. In the app I am querying GL extensions to dynamically detect if an Android phone supports ATITC pre-compressed textures. I'm looking for the string 'GL_ATI_texture_compression_atitc' in the extensions string reported by the phone. I have two questions regarding this:

1. Is 'GL_ATI_texture_compression_atitc' the right extension to look for if I want to use pre-compressed textures (ATITC)? Or should I be looking for 'GL_ATI_compressed_texture_atitc' instead? 

2. Does the HTC Hero support ATITC pre-compressed texures? Both the HTC G1 and HTC Hero report 'GL_ATI_texture_compression_atitc' in the GL extensions. However, only the G1 seems to be supporting ATITC pre-compressed textures. The same build (with pre-compressed ATITC textures) works on the G1 but not on the Hero (on the Hero I see rectangular blocks instead of the textures indicating that the handset did not understand the glType).

• Up0
  • Down0
Maurice
Posted: Thu, 2010-07-15 12:01

Hi Anagha,

I'm much more familiar with the OpenGL ES 1.1 and 2.0 drivers on the newer Adreno 200+ hardware, but I'll try and help out.

The HTC Hero hardware and driver should support ATITC textures.  I looked at the glBenchmark results for this phone and the extension name there is GL_ATI_texture_compression_atitc.  This extension should use the same token numbers as the AMD_compressed_ATC_texture extension.  Meaning you want to use these tokens:

ATC_RGB_AMD 0x8C92

ATC_RGBA_EXPLICIT_ALPHA_AMD 0x8C93

ATC_RGBA_INTERPOLATED_ALPHA_AMD 0x87EE

If you have problems with black textures try using glGetError() to narrow down which API calls are failing.

• Up0
  • Down0
or Register

Opinions expressed in the content posted here are the personal opinions of the original authors, and do not necessarily reflect those of Qualcomm Incorporated or its subsidiaries (“Qualcomm”). The content is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to be an endorsement or representation by Qualcomm or any other party. This site may also provide links or references to non-Qualcomm sites and resources. Qualcomm makes no representations, warranties, or other commitments whatsoever about any non-Qualcomm sites or third-party resources that may be referenced, accessible from, or linked to this site.