Forums - Virtual Texturing - updating compressed textures

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Virtual Texturing - updating compressed textures
Andy_Martin
Posted: Thu, 2011-06-09 08:41

I am working on a virtual texturing system for a university project. It is currently fully functional on the Nexus One that I am using, but the most heavily used texture in the system is not compressed, which obviously isn't great.

My problem is that I need to update this texture very often, but it seems that OpenGL ES 2.0 does not support updates to compressed textures. The justification (as I understand it) is that it would be too slow to recompress the texture on a smart phone, but I don't understand why any recompression would be necessary. As far as I am aware ATITC and ETC1 are both block compression formats, which compress each block of 4x4 texels individually. If this is the case it seems as though it should not be a problem to replace some of these blocks with other pre-compressed blocks, which is what I would like to do.

e.g.

glCompressedTexSubImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, level, blockX*4, blockY*4, blockW*4, blockH*4, GL_ETC1_RGB8_OES, size, data); 

Does anyone know if there is a way to do this? Alternatively, if there is a good reason for it not being supported, I would love to hear that too. Thanks :)

If anyone is unfamiliar with virtual texturing and would like to learn more, this is a great resource:

http://www.silverspaceship.com/src/svt/

• Up0
  • Down0
Steve L (not verified)
Posted: Thu, 2011-07-07 14:01

Hi, we're currently unaware of this feature being supported and as such wouldn't be able to help you with this.

• Up0
  • Down0
or Register

Opinions expressed in the content posted here are the personal opinions of the original authors, and do not necessarily reflect those of Qualcomm Incorporated or its subsidiaries (“Qualcomm”). The content is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to be an endorsement or representation by Qualcomm or any other party. This site may also provide links or references to non-Qualcomm sites and resources. Qualcomm makes no representations, warranties, or other commitments whatsoever about any non-Qualcomm sites or third-party resources that may be referenced, accessible from, or linked to this site.