Forums - Gobi 3000 GobiSampleCM Not Finding Device

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
Gobi 3000 GobiSampleCM Not Finding Device
mchristiansen@u...
Posted: Wed, 2011-11-02 16:28

I downloaded and installed the Gobi 3000 SDK, then tried to run the sample connection manager at "C:\Program Files (x86)\QUALCOMM\Gobi Anywhere SDK\x64\GobiSampleCM.exe" Unfortunately everything shows up as "Unknown" in the Connection Manager, and when I tried to build the sample project and debug into it the call to QCWWANConnect is returning 6 (Unable to detect Gobi device).

I have a Lenovo W520 with Windows 7 64bit. The Gobi 3000 shows up as Sierra Wireless MC8355 - Gobi 3000 (TM) HS-USB Mobile Broadband Device 9013 in my network connections, and I can use the Windows 7 network interface to connect to AT&T (and have verified that I have a working internet connection using the card)

In summary I have what appears to be a working Gobi 3000 card, but can't seem to get the API to recognize it or connect to it. Am I missing a configuration step to getting the API to work?

• Up0
  • Down0
Alan_Soloway Moderator
Posted: Thu, 2011-11-03 16:03

The Gobi Sample Connection manager application by default works with the Gobi3000 "generic device" which equates to a specific Version ID (VID) and Product ID (PID).  This is done through the use of a Device ID file "GobiDeviceID.dll" in C:\Program Files\Qualcomm\Gobi\Manufacturers\x86 (or x64) directory.

In order to enable the MC8355, you will need to copy the Device ID file from the Sierra directory (you will need to locate this Device ID file) into the Qualcomm directory.

That should enable the Gobi3000 SampleCM to detect the Sierra device.

• Up0
  • Down0
mchristiansen@u...
Posted: Fri, 2011-11-04 18:13

Thank you Alan! By following your instructions I was able to get the x86 version of the sample connection manager working just fine, which happens to be sufficient for my needs anyway. However I can't seem to get the x64 version to work. 

What is the purpose of the 64 bit version of the API and the connection manager? Is this what I'm supposed to be running under 64 bit Windows, or is it meant to be paired with 64 bit drivers that I possibly don't have.

• Up0
  • Down0
Alan_Soloway Moderator
Posted: Mon, 2011-11-07 07:42

Hi Michael,

I cannot be sure why the 64-bit version of the Sample CM is not working, but I suspect that the DeviceID dll files are not compiled for 64-bit architecture.

I am glad that you are now functional :).  Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.

Regards, Alan

• Up0
  • Down0
Mark_Kimmerly
Posted: Fri, 2012-02-10 11:54

I have a Dell M4600 with a Dell Wireless 5630 (EVDO-HSPA) MB Mini-Card (Novatel is the manufacturer).  I have the same problem with the GobiSampleCM app, it cannot find the device.  I located GobiDeviceID.dll in C:\Program Files (x86)\Novatel Wireless\Gobi\Dell and copied it to the folder where I built the sample app (right next to GobiSampleCM.exe), but the sample app still shows unknown for all fields.

Did I follow your instructions correctly by copying the GobiDeviceID.dll to the folder with the sample app?

• Up0
  • Down0
Alan_Soloway Moderator
Posted: Fri, 2012-02-10 12:11

You will need to copy the Novatel "GobiDeviceID.dll" file into the C:\Program Files\Qualcomm\Gobi\Manufacturers\x86 (or x64) directory.  Please note that this directory is different than your application directory.

I hope this solves your issue.

Regards, Alan

• Up0
  • Down0
Mark_Kimmerly
Posted: Fri, 2012-02-10 12:21

Wow, thanks for such a fast response!  Unfortunately, I don't have a Qualcomm folder in either of the "Program Files" or "Program Files (x86)" folders.

I should probably mention that I did not install the SDK on the Dell laptop, I have it installed on a different machine where my dev tools (Visual Studio, etc.) are installed.  After building, I copied the contents of the 'Debug' folder to a folder on the laptop.  Not sure if that makes a difference...?

• Up0
  • Down0
Alan_Soloway Moderator
Posted: Sat, 2012-02-11 10:45

It really doesn't matter where your SampleCM application resides as it will always try to find the GobiDeviceID.dll file in the explicit path C:\Program Files\Qualcomm\Gobi\Manufacturers\x86 (or x64).  You will need to create that full path and put the Novatel GobiDeviceID.dll file in that location.

• Up0
  • Down0
Alan_Soloway Moderator
Posted: Mon, 2012-02-13 10:03

I think we need to start at the top.

Pick one device and let us concentrate on that.  I would suggest focusing on the module that was included in the laptop.

Please verify that the device is enumerated (visible in the Device Manager) as both modem port and NDIS device.

Make sure the device can be operated correctly using the OEM provided utility.  Exit that utility if everything is working correctly.

Make sure the device is still enabled (many times the device gets disabled automatically when exiting the OEM provide Connection Manager utility).

Try to connect to the device using the enumerated modem port and execute any AT Command.

If everything is still working, then close the modem port and start the SampleCM.

• Up0
  • Down0
Mark_Kimmerly
Posted: Mon, 2012-02-13 13:26

I have verified all of the above, but still no luck.

However, with some debugging I noticed that there are no drivers enumerated (in GetAvailableDevices()) that have the name 'qualcomm' in them.  I modified the line in GetAvailableDevices that looks for 'qualcomm' to look for 'novatel' instead, and now the sample app is finding the device.

• Up0
  • Down0
Alan_Soloway Moderator
Posted: Mon, 2012-02-13 13:28

Perfect.  I am glad you were able to get it operational.

• Up0
  • Down0
cathy_liang
Posted: Tue, 2012-02-28 11:07

I am using a Pantech UML290 4G USB modem ( with Qualcomm MDM9600  chipset) provided by Verizon with a Windows 7 Dell laptop for my development, I installed the modem driver provided by Verizon, I verify that AT commands are working. I can use the VZWAccess manager to connect to WWAN.

I install the Gobi 3000 sdk, try to run the C:\Program Files\Qualcomm\Gobi API SDK\x86\GobiSampleCM.exe, It does not seem it detects the device ( modem), it shows all the values as Unknow on both connect statistics ( Connection window) and Gobo Device Information ( Information window), I read the posts here, I try to look for GobiDeviceID.dll file from the C:\Program Files\PANTECH\... directory, but I did not see any Gobi directory under that manufacture directory. Wondering if I can choose this modem for developing application using Gobi 3000 API ? I am new to Gobi API, can you please help?

• Up0
  • Down0
Alan_Soloway Moderator
Posted: Tue, 2012-02-28 13:06

Hello,

That device does not appear to be Gobi-compliant, so you will not be able to use it for Gobi API development.

Regards, Alan

• Up0
  • Down0
cathy_liang
Posted: Tue, 2012-02-28 14:04

Thanks for your reply! The chipset Pantech UML290 uses is Qulcomm MDM9600 chipset, is this chipset Qualcomm  Gobi 3000? is it possible this modem is not a Gobi 3000 compliant device even if it uses Qualcomm Gobi 3000 chipset? if it is the case, Can you suggest a USB modem that use Qualcomm MDM9600 and above that is a Gobi 3000 compliant device and it is 4G LTE device?Thanks a lot.

• Up0
  • Down0
Alan_Soloway Moderator
Posted: Tue, 2012-02-28 18:12

Gobi3000 is a PCI-Express Mini-card embedded module that uses the MDM6600 chipset.

There have been announcements about Gobi devices supporting LTE, but you would need to contact Gobi module suppliers to determine what products are currently available:

Huawei

Roy Law

Vice President

Huawei N America

rlaw@huawei.com

858-357-3256

Novatel

Chip Harleman

VP of Sales

charleman@nvtl.com

858-320-8806, cell: 612-226-6188

Option

Raymond G.  Octaviano

Business Phone: (404) 995-7082

Mobile Phone: (404) 625-6771

E-mail: r.octaviano@option.com

Sierra Wireless

Mike Ardelan

Vice President of World Wide OEM Sales

ardelan@sierrawireless.com

Direct:  630 587-8755

Mobile: 630 951-5128

ZTE

June Wang

Senior Director

ZTE USA

June.wang@zteusa.com

858-405-1893

Regards, Alan

• Up0
  • Down0
Blurpo
Posted: Mon, 2013-04-22 01:37

Hi Alan

is this forum still in use / monitored by Qualcomm ? I've posted a few questions but no replies

Thanks

• Up0
  • Down0
or Register

Opinions expressed in the content posted here are the personal opinions of the original authors, and do not necessarily reflect those of Qualcomm Incorporated or its subsidiaries (“Qualcomm”). The content is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to be an endorsement or representation by Qualcomm or any other party. This site may also provide links or references to non-Qualcomm sites and resources. Qualcomm makes no representations, warranties, or other commitments whatsoever about any non-Qualcomm sites or third-party resources that may be referenced, accessible from, or linked to this site.