Forums - Windows 8 and CDMA Activation

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
Windows 8 and CDMA Activation
atkretsch
Posted: Wed, 2012-05-02 09:42

We're working on a metro-style app for Windows 8, and one of the challenges we're facing is CDMA service activation.

On Windows 7 and XP, we would use an AT command (AT+OMADM) over a serial port to perform activation.  But serial port access (along with pretty much any low-level device interaction) is not available to metro apps on Windows 8.

Is there any supported way to perform activation on Windows 8?  On MSDN I found an interesting interface as part of the mobile broadband API - IMbnDeviceService (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/hh780509(v=vs.85).aspx).  The documentation is lacking in details and concrete examples, but it seems intended to provider a way to perform manufacturer- or device-specific operations that aren't covered by the general API - which is exactly the type of thing I'm hoping for here.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated (whether it relates to the Microsoft API or any other mechanism).

Thanks in advance,

Andy

• Up0
  • Down0
Alan_Soloway Moderator
Posted: Wed, 2012-05-02 15:14

Hi Andy,

There is no direct MBIM support for OMA DM activation (or other forms of activation like OTASP/OTAPA).

If you are familiar with the Gobi API activation functions, then you can continue to use those functions by taking advantage of the extensibility path through the MBIM driver.  Please download the latest Gobi API SDK to evaluate that support.

Regards, Alan

• Up0
  • Down0
atkretsch
Posted: Thu, 2012-05-03 07:27

Hi Alan,

Can you clarify what the "extensibility path" is?  Is that what the IMbnDeviceService interface represents?  If so, it's not clear to me from the Microsoft documentation what this would look like.  Would I essentially be sending a QMI message through the SetCommand() method, or something along those lines?  Is there additional documentation in the Jan 27 release of the Gobi API SDK that covers this in more detail that I've just overlooked?

Thanks again,

Andy

• Up0
  • Down0
Alan_Soloway Moderator
Posted: Fri, 2012-05-04 08:20

Hi Andy,

DeviceServices does represent the extensibility path, but there is nothing special you have to do to take advantage of it when using the Gobi API.  Just perform the device detection using whatever OS methods you would like and then call the GobiConnect function.  The Gobi API will use the DeviceServices path to establish communications with the device.  This is not covered in the documentation since it is performed automatically by the API implementation.

Another part of the extensibility path is the ability to expand functionality of the existing APIs by utilizing the underlying messaging mechanism called QMI.  That is captured in the documentation.

Regards, Alan

• Up0
  • Down0
atkretsch
Posted: Mon, 2012-05-07 12:00

OK, I think I understand now.  In the context of Windows 8, the Gobi API sits *on top of* the Windows mobile broadband extensibility API.  I was thinking of it more as Gobi/the device providing the implementation *underneath* the extensibility API.

So hypothetically, as long as I'm able to pull in the Gobi API, I should be able to call the OMA-related methods and perform device activation (as opposed to having to interact with the IMbnDeviceService interface directly)...am I understanding that correctly?

Thanks for your help and clarification!

Andy

• Up0
  • Down0
Alan_Soloway Moderator
Posted: Mon, 2012-05-07 12:05

Correct on all counts!

• Up0
  • Down0
Anakin_Tung
Posted: Fri, 2012-12-28 20:21

Hi all, 

I'm new to the Gobi API and the MBIM specificaiton, actually I have the same problem with Andy,

but I still don't understand.

I've seen the spec 80-N8983-1_A_Qualcomm_Mobile_Broadband_IF_Design_Overview,

I don't know why if the Gobi API makes some commands then the MBIM will knows that the the device service is EXT_QMUX?

Gobi API will also implement the command to the MBIM_EXT_QMUX, so that the MBIM can understand?

If so how did Gobi implement this? Does this contain in the Gobi sdk source?

thanks!! 

• Up0
  • Down0
atkretsch
Posted: Wed, 2013-01-02 07:56

If you grab the latest version of the Gobi API SDK, there's a WinRT example (in C++) that shows how to connect to the IMbnDeviceService interface.  From there, you can use OpenCommandSession and SetCommand to send and receive TLV messages similar to what you would pass in a Gobi API call in a non-WinRt client.  The main differences appear to be that there's more header information that you have to construct (since you're sending whole messages and not just passing along TLVs), and you also have to acquire and release client IDs through the "control" service (which I believe is what GobiConnect() and GobiDisconnect() do for you).

It's pretty much all there in the SDK example, with the exception of releasing client IDs - to do that, you send a "release client ID" message with a TLV containing the same info (and same structure) returned by the "get client ID" message.

Hope that helps!

Andy

• Up0
  • Down0
Anakin_Tung
Posted: Tue, 2013-01-22 22:37
Andy, thanks for your reply. I've sent the MBIM_EXT_QMUX command successfully. But, I have another question. Is it possible to open the device service like Basic Connect, SMS...defined in the MBIM? I try to use imbndeviceservice to open the command session of BASIC_CONNECT(uuid=a289cc33‐bcbb‐8b4f‐b6b0‐133ec2aae6df) But, the result is failed...any help is appreciated, thanks.
  • Up0
  • Down0
atkretsch
Posted: Wed, 2013-01-23 12:37
Hi Anakin, Unfortunately I don't have any experience with any device services other than QMI, since the QMI service provides everything we need (at least for now). Sorry I can't be of more help! Good luck, Andy
  • Up0
  • Down0
Anakin_Tung
Posted: Wed, 2013-01-23 18:32
Andy, thanks. Actually, we need to write a tool to set the packet service attach. Is this possible to implement this function via sending qmi? thank you very much!!! Anakin
  • Up0
  • Down0
ms123
Posted: Fri, 2013-02-08 11:38
Has anyone noticed any change to accessing the Gobi in the last couple days. I was able to use the WinRT sample application to get information from the modem until the last week or so. Now I get no response from the modem when using the WinRT sample. Using a MS sample: http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsapps/Modern-Win32COM-mobile-8f762ad8 The program sees the modem connecting and disconnecting. When I attempt to view any information I get an access denied message. I tested this on my main development machine. I also tested on a completely separate Windows 8 machine, development board, modem, and usb cable. It also will not see any information in the WinRT sample app. Both setups worked as of a week or so. The second computer had not been used in weeks and when I turned it on it installed a Windows update.
  • Up0
  • Down0
ms123
Posted: Fri, 2013-02-08 13:48
Has the Gobi API SDK changed since January. I just uninstalled and reinstalled the SDK to try to fix my issue and now it no longer includes the WinRT sample.
  • Up0
  • Down0
jebenson Moderator
Posted: Fri, 2013-02-15 10:22

Yes, a new Gobi API SDK was release in January and the WinRT example was removed since the Windows 8 model set forth by Microsoft limits WinRT app development to carrier/operators. Sorry for the inconvenience.

JB

• Up0
  • Down0
ms123
Posted: Fri, 2013-02-15 11:55

I am working for a carrier and we were intending to deliver a WinRT app based on the Microsoft.MBN framework following the same path as the were used in the WinRT sample.   Now if I run the WinRT sample I do not get information to display anymore and get access denied on my requests.  There was an update to Windows 8 between when it worked a couple weeks ago and now.  I take that a Windows 8 patch changed the permissions granted to WinRT and has broken this extensibility path.

If we have lost that path to get and program the Mobile Broadband chipset how can a carrier create an Windows Stire deployable WinRT application that can access and program a Gobi 3000 and Gobi 5000?  If neccessary I can take this through different official channels.

• Up0
  • Down0
ms123
Posted: Fri, 2013-02-15 11:56

Also to be clear: we are first concerned with WindowsRT on x86 and then later WindowsRT on Arm.

• Up0
  • Down0
jebenson Moderator
Posted: Fri, 2013-02-15 12:58

WinRT example code is only available to modem licensees. If you are working with an IHV they will have access to all necessary libraries, drivers and sample code you will need.

• Up0
  • Down0
or Register

Opinions expressed in the content posted here are the personal opinions of the original authors, and do not necessarily reflect those of Qualcomm Incorporated or its subsidiaries (“Qualcomm”). The content is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to be an endorsement or representation by Qualcomm or any other party. This site may also provide links or references to non-Qualcomm sites and resources. Qualcomm makes no representations, warranties, or other commitments whatsoever about any non-Qualcomm sites or third-party resources that may be referenced, accessible from, or linked to this site.