Forums - function to load new xtra.bin file

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
function to load new xtra.bin file
Detlef_Eickemeyer
Posted: Wed, 2012-03-14 11:33

I'm looking for a method or function that will load a newly downloaded xtra.bin file.  I need to control when the download is happening, and download it only while attached to the home network, instead of over cellular net.  This method I have completed, but now I need the GPS module to update its ephemeris data on command.  Is there a function, or an app already existing that I can call?  The applet in Windows Mobile has the 'Load Assistance file' feature, but this requires user intervension, which I don't want to rely on.

Thanks.

• Up0
  • Down0
Alan_Soloway Moderator
Posted: Wed, 2012-03-14 12:42

Hello,

If I understood correctly, you have put a control mechanism in place where the module will only download the xtra.bin file while on the home cellular network (I am assuming you did this with SetXTRANetwork).

If that is correct, then you do not have to explicitly command the module to use that new file as it will automatically use it the next time it is attempting find a GPS fix (assuming that XTRA is enabled - SetXTRADataState).

Regards, Alan

• Up0
  • Down0
Detlef_Eickemeyer
Posted: Wed, 2012-03-14 13:29

Hello,

Actually, it is not the module that is downloading the xtra.bin file, but a Device Management tool.  So the module is unaware of the updated file.

However, does this mean that when the timer for the update lapses, that the module will first look in the root of the device memory to see if an updated file has been placed there?

Thanks.

• Up0
  • Down0
Alan_Soloway Moderator
Posted: Wed, 2012-03-14 13:51

I now understand your original query.

XTRA is normally supported as an "embedded client" which is a process that exists on the module and downloads the xtra.bin file through a cellular connection.  The embedded client retrieves a new xtra.bin file at the appropriate time and saves it in the embedded file system.

It appears that you have developed an "external client".  There is no way for the device to know that an external client has downloaded a new xtra.bin file.  In order for the device to use an xtra.bin file, it must be stored on the device.

There is a way to "inject" the xtra.bin file from the host (PC?) into the device, but that is not supported through the primary Gobi API capabilities.  You must perform this function using the Gobi API extensibility path.  You will need to reference that capability in the latest Gobi API and then use the QMI_PDS_INJECT_XTRA_DATA function as documented in the QMI_PDS document from QDevNet.

Regards, Alan

• Up0
  • Down0
or Register

Opinions expressed in the content posted here are the personal opinions of the original authors, and do not necessarily reflect those of Qualcomm Incorporated or its subsidiaries (“Qualcomm”). The content is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to be an endorsement or representation by Qualcomm or any other party. This site may also provide links or references to non-Qualcomm sites and resources. Qualcomm makes no representations, warranties, or other commitments whatsoever about any non-Qualcomm sites or third-party resources that may be referenced, accessible from, or linked to this site.