Qualcomm products mentioned within this post are offered by
Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. and/or its subsidiaries.
Mixed reality (XR) experiences like virtual meetings with holographic telepresence were once relegated to science fiction, but are now becoming a reality. This is due to the convergence of technologies like our recently-announced Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ XR2 5G Platform, and new perception technologies that mimic how humans gain awareness and capture non-verbal communications (e.g., facial expressions and body language). Through the combination of these technologies, our vision is to provide such experiences through lightweight, comfortable glasses that dissipate heat from a limit of about one watt of power.
At this year’s Augmented World Expo (AWE), Prince Gupta, XR Product Manager at Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. (QTI) discussed the key elements necessary to realize this vision using devices built on the Snapdragon XR2 including:
- body tracking including the head, hands, eyes, and face
- realistic avatars
- 3D reconstruction of scenes and objects
- the importance of lighting techniques when rendering scenes and objects
- semantic understanding of objects (i.e., knowing what an object is)
He also discussed three KPI’s that each of these elements must fulfill for effective experiences:
- Accuracy: how well the perceived result compares to the perfect result (ground truth) (e.g., low motion-to-photon latency in XR headsets to handle head movements)
- Robustness: how “edge cases” are handled (e.g., when sensors are blocked or a connection is lost)
- Power efficiency: power and thermal efficiency of a technology or algorithm
If you would like to view Prince’s presentation, you can access it on our QDN On-Demand site.
For additional information about XR, be sure to check out some of these other blogs:
- XRHealth: Crossing Realities into the Future of Telehealth
- Exploring Assisted Reality with POINTR
- Mobile game and XR development with Unity 2019.1
Qualcomm Snapdragon is a product of Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. and/or its subsidiaries.